Sunday, September 2, 2007

No More Monkeys Jumpin' on the Bed


It finally happened. The bed broke as they were jumping on it. Janey,11, decided it was time to rearrange the bedroom furniture. She does this every three months or so. She shares a room with her 6 year old brother, Charley, and he usually goes along with whatever redecorating she has in mind. I have to remember that this is also a fantastic way to get her excited about cleaning her room, so I usually help out. Just as the finishing touches were being put on the "new" room, Charley and our neighbor Gus climbed up on the bed and did what 5 and 6 year olds are wired to do: they jumped around and giggled. I resisted the urge to nag and left the room instead. They were having fun, and they weren't even jumping that hard. Not long ago, I might have launched into a monologue about making good choices and respecting furniture or something very I'm the adult and I need you to know that-ish. But I didn't. I left the room and bit my tongue. CRACK. One of the five wooden boards that supports the mattress from underneath snapped in half. The room went silent. I walked back in the room and resisted the urge to say much of anything. They knew. They didn't need me to state the obvious. No one got hurt, the bed is fixable, and Mama didn't even have to call the doctor. I'm pretty sure Charley and Gus won't be jumping on the bed anymore.

No comments: