Thursday, February 28, 2008

Playing Hooky


We played hooky today and went skiing. You'd think that living life without school would mean that we play hooky everyday, but it was actually a push for me to cancel the various activities and commitments we had planned for today in order to ride up to the mountain with our neighbors.

When we were invited to go a few days ago, I actually said no at first. I had already committed to watching a friend's kids after Park Day, and Janey has a Latin Dance class on Thursday mornings. I have a Pilates class in the afternoon....blah, blah, blah. What could be more fun and spontaneous and energizing than to cancel it all (even Pilates!) and go skiing? Isn't that the whole reason we unschool? Freedom! Fun! Adventure!

I knew my friend would understand. There are others who could watch her kids. I do love Pilates, but really. I love skiing more. Initially, it was hard to make the decision to go. Even after years of living life this way, free from the schedules and commitments of "normal" school families, I can get just as attached to my calendar as any other PTA mom. Thank goodness I came to my senses quickly.

The weather was amazing. The kids were amazing. We hardly needed our jackets. We actually needed sunscreen!! Charley's hunger-inspired meltdown only lasted 30 minutes. It was a perfect day.

Charley has always wanted to learn to snowboard. Today, he traded gear with our neighbor for about 20 minutes, and I swear, he taught himself to snowboard. We may have a convert on our hands. I shouldn't be surprised, though. It's really just a big skateboard. He blows me away.

No comments: