Monday, February 18, 2008

Red Lights and Wheelchairs


Since we live life without school, as well as without a car, we walk and bike and ride the bus to get around town. Being on time has always been a challenge for me, but I'm finding that bus schedules and the slow pace my kids prefer on foot, are making it easier for me to be on time and even early (gasp!). The buses in our town only run every 30 minutes. Although it would be convenient to have more frequent choices, I find that it slows us down a bit. It also means that we have more time to chat and hang out. Every once in a while, we are racing to make it to the bus stop, praying we won't miss it. Waiting 30 minutes for the next one can be a real drag if we've got somewhere else to be. Tonight, as we were walking to the bus stop after ballet class, Macy struggled to keep up. "We have to walk quickly, guys," I cautioned, "if we miss the last bus, we'll need to walk home."

"Let's hope for red lights and wheelchairs," Macy said cheerfully. It took me a minute, but then I caught on. The bus runs a few minutes late when it gets stopped at red lights and when the driver stops to assist handicapped riders. I smiled. Red lights and wheelchairs. Kids say the darndest things.

No comments: